Thursday, January 16, 2014

Good, Better, Vest

After a decently long recess, #thriftythursday is back! My most recent thrift crawl took place in Davis Sq. in Somerville, where there are a handful of great thrift and consignment shops within a short walking distance of each other. My favorite find was designed by POLO RALPH LAUREN for $5!!! Yes you read that correctly. Goodwill takes anything donated and separates it by color and style, and then labels the mass of similar style clothing as the same price. So next to my Ralph Lauren flannel was a plain t-shirt and on the other side of it was some kind of itchy turtleneck.. all for five dollars. So basically I hit the lottery. I decided that I already had so many flannels, what would I do with another one? DIY it, that's what!



As you can see, I've cut off the sleeves of my flannel to make it into a state-of-the-art vest. After spending an hour sewing up the sides so I didn't look like I was wearing a bag, I played around with different ways to wear my new/old vest.


A vest is generally worn over other layers like in the first outfit, but it obviously can also be worn under things. Experiment!




The warmest combination I could come up with involves wearing a knit sweater underneath the buttoned vest, giving the outfit nice texture and keeping you snuggly warm.



Don't be afraid of places like Goodwill and the Salvation Army. You might get lucky and stumble upon a gem! And if not, feel free to make something you wouldn't normally wear your own by changing it up.

- nali xo





No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise