Friday, October 4, 2013

"I... am a Star"




"You might laugh because every time I sign my name I put a gold star after it, but it's a metaphor. And metaphors are important. My gold stars are a metaphor. For me. Being a star."

Who remembers the days when Rachel Berry from Glee was geeky and defensive, strong-willed and argumentative? Since the beginning of the series, it is clear that as Rachel's character grows and develops, so does her ability to dress herself fashionably. Where plaid and tweed patterns used to adorn her, now are replaced by leather and tighter fitting clothing. Don't get me wrong, Lea Michele and Rachel Berry are both smoke  shows, but I'm flashing back this Friday to season one to appreciate the underrated art form that is 'original Rachel Berry'.




 Here are a few refreshers for all the folks at home who can't remember what this diva used to dress like. Notice the argyle and other preppy patterns.



And here is a lovely timeline of how the style has grown and how much yellow Rachel used to wear.



 After many hours spent tearing apart mine and my mother's closets searching for hideous prints in the hopes of making them desirable, I present to you my own interpretation of vintage Rachel Berry.

vest: daily habit (vintage)
pants: bdg @ urban outfitters
tank: aeropostale
boots: sm @ sears


Although it may not look like it, this checkered vest has a rocker/grunge feel to it when it's hanging loose unbuttoned. 

tank: hollister co
sweater: marshall's
skirt: j.g.hook (vintage)
shoes: forever xxi

A huge Rachel trademark was plaid skirts with knee socks and flats. I chose to stray away from the socks so it doesn't seem like I'm advising any of you to go back to your schoolgirl days.

shirt: piazzitalia
collar: forever xxi
vest: dakota blues
shorts: h&m @ buffalo exchange
shoes: sm @ sears


This outfit is a blend between old and new Rachel. Only old Rachel would wear argyle socks but I used them in this punk-y outfit as leg warmers with combat boots and leather shorts.


Although adopting Lea Michele's character's outfits doesn't include her voice as a package deal, it's safe to say she rocked it and so can you.

- nali xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise